- mutterings & musings about my adventures into the world of knitting and all things woolly!

Monday, August 06, 2007

Questions..questions... SP11 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I am in no way a yarn snob! Acrylic has a very large place in my heart as it really is the only thing to use for my young daughter! As my knitting knowledge has increased so has my liking for more luxurious yarns…. Cashmere sock yarn is my favourite at present. I also love Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran.

The only yarn I really really hate is eyelash type yarn…urgh!


2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have some great tins from The Knit Tin, a round long one that holds my knitting pins and a rectangular one that holds scissors, gauge and all those other bits and bobs that I just can’t do without! The only problem is that the one that holds the needles isn’t quite long enough for the longest pins so I can’t use the lid!
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I learnt when I was a wee girl from my Grandma but gave up very shortly after! I taught myself again from a book about two years ago, shortly after discovering I was pregnant with my daughter. My love for knitting just continues to grow and there is nothing that I wont try. Hence I would call myself an advanced beginner.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

I have the humble beginnings of a wish list on Amazon.co.uk.

5. What's your favorite scent?

It’s so hard to choose…. I adore both vanilla and lavender but I also can’t keep my hands off fruity stuff that I’m sure is meant for teenage girls rather than Mum’s in their 30’s!

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

Who doesn’t?! I have family in the USA so my favourite memories of childhood holidays were discovering all the sweets in the supermarkets! I loved ‘fruit roll-ups’, ‘Wonka’ candy and anything grape flavoured!(We don’t get anything like that here in the UK) I was thrilled when m&m’s came out over here but they never do those massive bags that my Aunt sends at Christmas! Basically, I LOVE sweets and chocolate, but fruity sweets are the way to win my heart!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don’t spin nor do I have any inclination to try. I have tried crochet but I just can’t seem to get the hang of it! I’ve had a cross-stitch kit on the go for the last 10 years! I have recently tried hand dying sock yarn with Kool-Aid which is great but I would like to get some Acid dyes to create stronger colours.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

Yes we have the ability to play MP3’s, I’m hoping to get an Ipod soon!

My kind of music? What an impossible question to answer! I like all sorts, most things except for most of the rubbish that’s in the charts!! I sound just like my Mum, that must mean I’m getting old!

I love 80’s stuff, some 90’s tracks and recently, although I can’t believe I’m admitting this in public, I’ve developed a liking for soppy 70’s tracks, in particular The Carpenters! There, I’ve said it….. please forgive me!!! Sssshh, don’t tell anyone!

I like a lot of the popular Classical stuff interspersed with some Robbie Williams, The Doors, and The Rolling Stones. A very eclectic mix.


9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

Thankfully I love pink, all sorts of shades from baby pink right up to bright cerise. I say thankfully as my DD wears nothing but!

As my love for variegated sock yarns grow, I particularly love bluey/greeny/turquoisey colourways.

There really aren’t any colours I wouldn’t touch…perhaps dark brown but other than that I’m not fussy!


10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I’m very happily married, have one gorgous girl (16 months old) and have 3 step children who visit 2 out of 3 weekends. They are 16, 13 and 9 so we often find it very difficult to keep both a 16 year old and a 16 month amused!

Our mad house is made complete with our 3 cats who have decided the only way they’re going to get any attention is by meowing at 5 in the morning!!

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

Yes to all except Ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Socks! And anything for my DD as they are small so are finished quickly!

13. What are you knitting right now?

MS3 (is there anyone that isn’t?!), Universal toe-up socks using hand dyed yarn (my first attempt at toe-up), some stupid elephant toy for my DD that is really cute but I hate it!!

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

I’m going to say yes for this one but the honest truth is that I don’t know! No-one I know is in the least bit crafty so have never received anything hand made. I imagine that I would love anything made with me in mind as I know how long it takes to make gifts! Of course any gifts I have made have been given to non-crafty people who tend to under-appreciate them..I would love to make a gift for someone who knew how much love (and sometimes blood, sweat and tears!) went into ther gift!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I’m not fussy! It is nice to work on a wide piece on circulars and I always work socks on one teeny tiny circular but other than that I have no preference. I would love to try bamboo needles sometime, never tried plastic (not sure I want to either!).

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I have a ball winder but I am absolutely desperate for a swift. I keep trying to persuade DH to make me one but no luck so far!

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

About 8 months old. I started a blankie when a very good friend told me she was pregnant. Unfortunately she had a miscarriage and I just can’t bring myself to frog it or to finish it. I really don’t know what to do with it!

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Christmas by far. I always get very excited and love to have twinkly lights all over the house. We always put our tree up very early and I sing carols as I wrap presents. I’d love to visit Austria/Germany for the traditional Christmas markets and one day I’ll make it to New York for my Christmas shopping!

I really do think I must have American blood in me somewhere…. I love everything about Christmas, especially decorating the outside of the house (tastefully of course!) but that is often frowned upon here in the UK!


19. Is there anything that you collect?

The plain and simple answer is no!

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

Oooooh, what a question… I have so many things I want to try! If only I could win the lottery! I would love to have some Lantern Moon needles, some glass needles, some Brittany Birch dpn’s (do they do teeny tiny circular’s too?!). Most of my needles came from a job lot off Ebay when I first started so would love to replace them all with beautiful pins!

I’d like to try some bamboo yarn, also maybe a small item in sari silk. One day I WILL buy myself some Socks that Rock yarn! I also fancy some Opal Feelings yarn too.

I can never have enough books…. I love books, any books! I’ve got my eye on both the Sensational Knitted Socks books. I also love Debbie Bliss and Zoe Mellor patterns for my DD.


I'd also like to subscribe to Interweave Knits.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Entrelac is high on my list, along with improving my crochet skills. I’d like to make a big snuggly afghan on eday. As I said earlier, I really want to try hand dying with Acid dyes. I’d also like to have a go at rug-making (latch hook), I did some as a teenager and quite enjoyed it.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

Ooooh yes! I love knitting socks! I am a size 3.5 (UK)

23. When is your birthday?

January 3rd – 9 days after Christmas and I hate it!

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?

Yes and isn’t it great? I go by the name of MuppetMummy.

No comments: