- mutterings & musings about my adventures into the world of knitting and all things woolly!

Monday, January 21, 2008

A fine vintage?

Well, there we are. It's 21 days into the new year and one of my resolutions has been broken. Bah! I said I would blog at least once a week but now it's been 8 days. I did try to post yesterday... honestly...but my stupid new laptop is playing silly buggers, or the broadband connection is. One of the two.

I don't quite know what's come over me recently. In the last two years or so, my knitting has come on leaps and bounds. Heck, I can even knit socks! Funky socks! Pure wool hoodies. Cute trendy baby raglans. You name it, I'll try it. Cashmere? Yes please. Handpainted sock yarns? Bring them on. Cotton dishcloth yarn? Oh me oh my!

So, why oh why have I started knitting like my much missed Grandma?

Last week, a work colleague's little girl was born at 36 weeks. I went stash diving and Ravelry searching and what did I come up with? A bloody teddy bear knit with acrylic (well it did need to be washable!). It was a quick knit and is pretty cute but is awaiting eyes and a nose so pics later. Jomp's hates it.

Not quite as much as he hates the most recent WIP:


My mum asked me to knit some doll's clothes for a friends little girl. It's the first time my mum has asked me to knit anything so of course I agreed. However, I didn't expect her to provide a pattern that is at least 30 years old and some pound shop acrylic! I even started knitting them on awful very old steel needles but they were so heavy and slippy I very quickly changed to my new Brittany's.

Jomp's is not a happy bunny. He says my knitting has taken a step backwards. It would seem that he is secretly proud of his wife knitting young, fairly funky designs in ever more beautiful yarns. He cannot understand why I would want to knit such awful patterns when there is such a wealth of lovely stuff available.

To be honest, I'm not sure I understand either! But I said I would knit these god awful dolls clothes and knit them I will. It means alot to me to have my mum's approval, which is not easily given, so I will finish this set of clothes then never again knit stuff my Grandma would have loved! That's a promise!

6 comments:

Chalkhills Collective said...

Wow, this brings back the memories. I can't remember my mum having that pattern exactly, but something pretty close and certainly an Emu!

Liz

Linda said...

Well as long as the recipient likes it! My doll had something like that when I was small!

Sarah said...

Is it wrong of me to quite like that little dress and the pretty stitch pattern? I think all knitting is good knitting - you should knit what you want to - but if the reason you want to knit it is to make someone happy then that sounds good to me.

Thanks so much for your kind words on my latest blog post.

Knitted Gems said...

I'd knit anything my Aunt or MIL would ask of me too.

MandellaUK said...

Don't beat yourself up about the blogging. Life does have a habit of getting in the way!

You're going to make some little girl very happy, and it is only a one off. You can go back to the funky knitting then.

Jo028 said...

I LOVE that dolls pattern. Having a girl after 3 boys sent me on an ebay buying frenzy. If ever you get the urge to borrow one, give me the nod!