- mutterings & musings about my adventures into the world of knitting and all things woolly!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Proof

I said I'd been knitting in my prolonged absence, didn't I? Well I'd forgotten just what I'd started and finished til I got it all together to photograph it for the blog and Ravelry.

Back in June, Jomps and I became Auntie & Uncle to our new Nephew, Anthony. I, of course, realised 2 weeks before he was due that I HAD to knit him something. This was the first family member who has had a baby since I've been knitting and it was on the In-Law side so no pressure there then...NOT! Anyway, Jomps' brother knew it was a boy so I picked out this little set:



Pattern: Snuggly Baby Bamboo #1734 Striped Baby/Child V-Neck Pullover or Slipover Vest from the booklet Baby Bamboo Knits and Simple Baby Socks from the booklet Fiber Trends -The Magic Loop .
Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo. Various colours
Size: 3-6 months in the vest and 0-12 months socks
Knit for: Anthony James
Comments: Loved this pattern and the yarn which gives clear crisp stitch definition. The only issue I really had was weaving in ends as the yarn is so slippery. The neck opening on the vest seemed small but I did offer to take it back to add some buttons on the shoulder seam if need be.
This was also the first time I had tried Magic Loop which I really liked, surprisingly! I think I'll be sticking to my teeny tiny circular or Harmony DPN's though!

After these were finished I found out I was pregnant and also found myself unable to knit much at all. I tried...I really tried:


Both these socks were knit with yarn that lovely Cheryl, my SP11 spoiler, sent me last year. The shorties are Cascade Fixation which is a really weird yarn to knit with, soooo stretchy! It took me three attempts to get the tension right and still ending up with completely different pooling on the two socks. The red stripey socks are in Regia Cotton India Color and are my first try at a picot hem. Despite being cotton...they are still pretty warm and I love the colours. They are also identical twins...a first for me!

And then, of course, I had to knit a little something for the bump:

Pattern: Baby to Toddler Socks by Miriam L Felton
Yarn: Koigu Painter's Palette Premium Merino (KPPPM)
Needles: 2.5mm Harmony DPN's
Size : Newborn
Knit for: the bump!
Comments: Oh my, I'd forgotten how cute baby knits are and how quick they are to knit! LOVE these socks even though the foot section looks huge...I guess they'll fit at some point!

So..there is the proof that I haven't been entirely idle!

9 comments:

Auntie Noo said...

Definitely not idle!!!! :) All such lovely knits

scarletprincess said...

OH how cute are those little socks?! I made exactly that vest from the same book but I used a cotton/silk blend in royal blue,orange,lime green and light blue for seth. I had a button opening on the one shoulder as I couldn't get his head in first time around!
Very productive knitting!

Fiona Reynolds said...

Lovely knits - that's a beautiful jumper.

Linda said...

I am sorry, somehow I missed congratulating you on your baby news! xxx Congratulations! The little socks are so cute.

blog-blethers said...

Love the vest and the wee socks. It's enough to make this golden olden broodie:)

And many congratulations on your pregnancy news. What a really special time for you all...

Sarah said...

Very busy indeed! Love those little socks

Littlelou said...

Must excuse me as I haven't popped by your blog for ages. Big congrats on baby news. xx

knittynix said...

Hi Jane! I can see that congratulations are in order..... hope all is well for you... We've been offline for ages but just put blockers back on ebay. Could I still use your photo and review, Jane?
Hope to hear from you soon, Nicky x

Monique said...

Very cute vest and sock set!